Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Teachers

I heard this during a talk by Guy Doud on His Radio (100.5 FM) tonight in the card driving home. Sometimes I feel like I spend my whole life in the car and sometimes I love it. Tonight (after another long & stressful work day) God spoke to me. He reminded me of his calling on my life - to be a teacher. Tonight I was driving home from a missions council meeting at my church. David & I have felt called to become part of missions within our church and I'm learning how it correlates to teaching. I LOVE teaching children at school and I LOVE teaching people about Jesus. I've found (insert a 'duh!' here) that the more open I am about surrendering to God's will for the direction of my life, the more he refines his call on my life - especially in ways I never thought would happen. God never ceases to amaze me and meet me where I need him to ... tonight it was in the car driving home after a stressful day at work. Even if you're not a teacher maybe you can get something from this, I certainly hope you do!


A little back story: Guy Doud was a former national teacher of the year (1986) and was recognized by meeting Ronald Regan in the oval office! This poem is what the president personally gave him by an unknown author.


Teachers ...
You are the molders of their dreams
The gods who build or crush
Their young beliefs of right or wrong.
You are the spark that sets aflame
The poet's hand or lights the flame
Of some great singer's song.
You are the god of the young, the very young
You are the guardian of a million dreams
Your every smile or frown
Can heal or pierce the heart
You are a hundred lives, a thousand lives.
Yours the pride of loving them
And the sorrow too.
Your patient work, your touch
Make you the gods of hope
Who fill their souls with dreams
To make those dreams come true.

No comments:

Post a Comment