Monday, May 24, 2010

God is up to something in my life ... what? I'm not sure, but here's how I know:


There has been a lot of change in the lives of people around me - those close and those not so close.


In the last few years I've seen David's uncle and grandmother pass away. When John died, it rocked their world - change was inevitable ... massive heart attack with a wife and three young children left behind. When Patsy died, we saw the end of a wonderful life and the sorrow in family. Life for the Sumter Patrick's changed seeing as she wasn't living with them anymore. Soon after, my grandmothers (both) started having more serious health issues and I saw first hand on stressful it is to deal with those kinds of things as a family. I'm proud of my aunts and uncles for doing the best that they know how to do in the situations that have fallen upon them. I know that I'm won't be ready for that kind of thing anytime soon ... so I'm glad I'm still sitting at the "kid table" at Thanksgiving! My uncle's sister (might as well be one of my own aunts) passed away this year and I'm so thankful that I got to see her one more time. This caused my uncle to take in her dog, among many other changes I'm sure.  And, most recently, a student of mine lost her father just last week. He also left behind a wife and three children after suffering a massive heart attack.  (not sure if you picked up on the coincidence or not, but I noticed it!) David's grandfather, Papa, and Mr. Causey, a wonderful man of God, suffered a heart attack and survived after open heart surgery. So their health (and eating habits) have changed tremendously. A dear friend of mine, a fellow teacher, has recently heard that her father-in-law has pancreatic cnacer, so they've been on my prayer list. She took her son (9month old Kolt is so stinking cute!) to see him just a week ago.


Let me interject a reassuring and peaceful verse I like to go to in times of sickness and death: "Humble yourselves, therefore, under God's mighty hand, that he may lift you up in due time. Cast all your anxiety on him because he cares for you." 1 Peter 5:6-7


In addition to all of those health related changes ... my cousin and her family are on their way to Okinawa, Japan for three years. Elizabeth's husband is a marine and got orders to go. They will take their two children halfway around the world on Wednesday. Some of the youth that I've been lucky enough to 'love on' for a couple years will graduate soon and move on to college. My  mother started a new job at a new school. My sisters have (fairly) new boyfriends ... and that's always an adjustment in a family. Don't worry - good adjustment in this case! Another of my cousins just had a baby, Aurie, and she's the most precious little thing ever! And, yet another, cousin is due in November. 


If you haven't noticed, family means a lot ... they are my world! God is working in their lives just like I feel him working in mine. I'm not sure what my "change" will be ... if there's even any change on it's way, but I do know one thing: 


"Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus. Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable--if anything is excellent or praiseworthy--think about such things." Phillipians 4:6-8


So I'm telling you all of this in hopes for a few prayers. Help me to be patient with the Lord and his will for my life. Help me be diligent in my endeavors to live his word daily. Help me to keep an open mind to "out of the box" events thrown my way. Help me to accept my life's regular routines as well as it's new-ness.

1 comment:

  1. I've often felt those winds of change and not known where they were taking me. Hope you end up somewhere that helps you grow and gives you some enlightenment! :)

    ReplyDelete