Monday, March 8, 2010

I Hope You Don't Mind


Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." ~Dr. Seuss

As a kindergarten teacher, I felt I must start this blog with a children's book author's quote. Only ... I think he is smarter than just that. I think he has a message to all ages! I think his message is to be you ... no matter who that is! So, as I start this blog, I'm going to let you in on me ...


I'm a kindergarten teacher! I LOVE being with children. I have always loved children; be it my little sisters, neighborhood kids that I babysat for, or students in my class. Their pure and innocent outlook in life encourages and reminds me to be open and honest with my family and myself all the time.


I love music! I used to take piano lessons. My family likes to pick on me about "quitting." I did, however, have two consecutive horrible teachers (long story). I learned what I needed to learn and can still read anything you put in front of me. With practice, I can learn it. I like to play for me, though, for the stress relief and the enjoyment of the sound. My husband catches me sometimes ... lost in the music. My radio is set to christian and country and my Ipod is filled with a wide variety of genres ... mostly things that stir my heart and make me think.


I love love! I'm married to the man of my dreams. We fell in love almost at first sight ... and although I was accused of living a 'boring' life ... just settling down near home to have babies ... I couldn't be happier. For the record, the person who accused me of that 'boring life' has decided she is going to do the same thing ... sadly she gave up a lot of her dreams for a boy. And between you and me - if anyone in my family were to break the boundaries that a southern daddy set of not going Up North, it would have been her! None-the-less I still love her, even though she chooses not to see it sometimes. Speaking of her, I love my family. I was born and raised in SC, where family is everything. We all have "that cousin" or "that uncle" or "those in-laws" but when it comes right down to it ... we truly love each other. At least that's the way I've always seen it. My momma knows everything, even if I don't want to admit it and my daddy could move a mountain!


The most important thing I love, is my Lord. His name is Jesus. He was born in a small town (like Lexington, where I was born, used to be) and raised by two young parents (mine were in their 20's) and had siblings (James). I can relate to him because he's walked in my shoes. Here's where my life doesn't measure up, though I sure wish it would ... He started his ministry of telling the whole world who he was and why he was here. He never messed up ... ever(how hard is that!). Then he was killed because of the claims he made, miracles he performed and simply for who he was. He didn't stay dead though (I know, sounds crazy, like a movie or something ... but it's real!) He came back to life after three days of being dead. Check this out ... an angel pushed a boulder away so he could get out of the cave he was buried in, then he went to his family and friends to show them he was alive. Then, the bible says, "He left them and was carried up into Heaven." He literally floated up into the clouds and is in Heaven. He didn't die again to get there like you and I will have to, he just went like he is. I don't know about you but when I heard that story, I thought that's the coolest thing I've ever heard! I don't want to walk around aimlessly, I want to do what he did, be like he was, live like he lived, speak like he spoke, love like he loved, because that's not just a story in a movie or a book. It's real life. It's real to my life. I hope it's real to your life ... if it's not, I'd like to help you change your mind!


So, you might be thinking, how am I going to bring all these things back to Dr. Seuss? I'm not ...


I know that my family will listen, forgive and move on when I mess up. Maybe not in my time, but theirs is perfectly fine. I know that my love and passion for teaching is from God so that's not going anywhere. I'm not really quite sure where music comes in but I know that it will one day. In the meantime ... I'll keep seeking to live like Jesus. He said what he meant and meant what he said, all the time. And he was good, all the time. I only hope the people in my life that matter the most to me, don't mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment