Thursday, August 22, 2013

For My Sister-Friends

“The next best thing to being wise oneself is to live in a circle of those who are.” C.S. Lewis
 

This circle of women has meant more to me than they know. These ladies are wise. Wise from life experience; Wise from and education standpoint; Wise in knowledge of scriptures; and Wise in knowing how to be a true friend! These ladies know the Lord and they know me. They have seen some of my absolute worst moments and have shared in some of my best times. They have helped me grow. We've spent countless nights laughing and talking together, and countless hours discussing scriptures and praying with each other. I have learned more from them than I think I even realized ... that is until yesterday.

There are “friends” who destroy each other, but a real friend sticks closer than a brother. Proverbs 18:24

These ladies are all Christians. That means they each have decided at one point in their lives to follow Jesus. I have had the privilege to hear each of them share their experience of coming to know Him. I have gotten to know them and shared life with them for a while now. I have even known a couple of them since high school. Last night we went out to dinner at Vickery's on Shem Creek. We were celebrating Beth (second from the left) since she is about to move to Colorado. We got a chance to catch up. We talked about kids and school, moving and houses, new cars, new life adventures, and just about everything in between. I think the restaurant setting kept us from going until midnight like some of the Tuesday nights in the past! What a treasure they are! As I sat at that table, soaking it all in, it hit me. These women are not only true friends, they are my sisters.

 Now when Job’s three friends heard of all this evil that had come upon him, they came each from his own place, Eliphaz the Temanite, Bildad the Shuhite, and Zophar the Naamathite. They made an appointment together to come to show him sympathy and comfort him.  When they saw him from a distance, they could hardly recognize him; they began to weep aloud, and they tore their robes and sprinkled dust on their heads. They sat on the ground with him for seven days and seven nights. No one said a word to him, because they saw how great his suffering was. Job 2:11
I love them! You hear people say the phrase "brothers and sisters in Christ" at church a lot. You even read that in scriptures, but yesterday it came alive to me. I looked around the table listening to parents from all stages of children (a baby to a college senior and all ages in between) what great knowledge I've gained from these Godly parents. I saw wives committed to their husbands ... wow, what great advice I've gleaned from them. I saw girls that love Jesus and are committed to the scriptures; to reading, studying, and lifelong learning. I thought about missions and the girls at the table that I've had the chance to go out of the country with - man, what a growing experience that has been in my life! I thought about the intimate parts of my life I've shared with these ladies and they love me still. I thought about the things I've done wrong that they've called me out on and they love me still. I thought about the major life decisions I've had to make and how they were there for me in prayer and in person. Can I tell you? I truly believe that they would come and sit in a pile of ashes with me for days without speaking, like Job's friends, if I needed it.

The heartfelt counsel of a friend is as sweet as perfume and incense.  Proverbs 27:9
The closeness and trust that I have with these ladies is something that I've only ever experienced with my personal, biological sisters. I can trust them and go to them if I really need to. I probably should trust and go to them a little more than I do (being too kept to myself is something I'm growing in and as we grow up we are quickly becoming closer, yay!). I felt this kind of trust and love with cousins and parents before too. I really did have an awesome growing up experience as far as value of family is concerned. The bottom line, though, is that this trust and love is something I've only ever experienced with family. Yesterday I realized that I've got that trust and comfort and love in these friends. They are like sister-friends to me and it's so sweet! I wouldn't be the woman I am today without them. I know I have a long way still to go, but I know I'm not alone. I'm thankful for all I've learned from and with them and what's to come. The Lord created something good when He allowed friendships to form ... Praise Him! 


I love you Jennifer, Beth, Liz, Kristen and Jessica!

No comments:

Post a Comment