Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Sphincter of Oddi

Just take a look at this picture . . .






Yes, that is an actual medical term and it's the answer to my mystery medical ailments previously misdiagnosed in older post "Gallbladder Woes." Here's what Wikipedia has to say about
Sphincter of Oddi dysfunction.



Now that you have studied the picture, reminded yourself of my past troubles, and researched with me on Wikipedia I can assure you that you aren't alone in thinking . . . "What?" That's exactly what I said, so here's the story in some "plain English."




I've been having these attack-like symptoms since Oct. 2010. I've been to multiple doctors and had a wide range of tests done all so say . . . "We believe you have pain, we don't see on the tests where it's coming from, let's try to take your gallbladder out because that will might work." So, trusting a doctor and no longer being able to tolerate daily stomach pain, I said yes! You can imagine my cry-baby response when the pain came back (seemingly worse while I was on pain meds for surgery).  Back to the doctor I go . . . a different one this time because the other one just treated me like an account number that he'll get a paycheck from, but that's another story . . . in hopes of a real answer! After lots of questions, some mashing on my tummy, and some blood work, the doctor says, "You are probably suffering from Sphincter of Oddi disorder." 


Now it was my turn, now I had questions for him:


1) What is that? It's a sphincter (round muscle - similar to the one you're probably thinking of in a funny/gross way) that basically controls the bile that your liver, pancreas and gallbladder emits into the first part of your intestines to help with digestion.


2) Why does it hurt SO BAD? When you have this disorder or dysfunction, the muscle spasms out and/or contracts so tightly that the bile cannot get through, thus causing a 'back up' if you will in the pancreatic duct. Once the muscle relaxes, the bile flows, the food is digested, and the pain is relieved.


3)So I had my gallbladder removed for nothing? NO - a lot of people do not find out they are suffering from this disorder until after they have their gallbladder out because the symptoms are almost identical and the pain is localized in the same place.


4)So what are you suggesting I do about this? First you need to know that there are three types and we will be treating you as if you have type 1 (the less intense). I am putting you on an anti-depressant medication that is used to treat chronic pain called Elavil. I'll see you back in 6 weeks and if the pain still persists we can move forward. (treatment for type three involves possibly cutting the muscle during a 4-5 day hospital say ... yuck!)


5)Are you sure you aren't giving me an anti-depressant "crazy" medicine to treat my "chronic pain" since all tests came back clear? Here the doctor laughed out loud, but I had to make sure he wasn't just thinking I was crazy! He said no, not at all. In fact this medicine has shown to really help Oddi patients no have to undergo surgery.




So there you have it; questions and answers about this crazy diagnosis. I'm so thankful that I finally have a real answer and not a lot of maybe this, maybe that's.  I'm so thankful that this doctor talked with me for a while and didn't rush me through my questions. I'm so thankful that a year of pain might be all I have to endure before this is all over with. Please pray that I keep getting guided in the right direction with this "thorn in my side." I know that there is power in prayer because our Lord is a great healer!




ps - My doctor said that MUSC is a leading researcher for this crazily named disorder . . . go figure! If they can save my sister's life, my daddy's life, and my husband's papa's life, I'll trust them with my belly too . . . only if it gets that far!

2 comments: