Thursday, July 29, 2010

Cookies ...

Hello Blogging World!


Being at home all summer has been a wonderful rejuvenation time for me (refer to previous post as to why I'm re-stating this to myself daily!)  I've been able to organize my house, vacation with family, and spend all kinds of time with people I love! I've also missed ... I'm scared to say it out lout ... being 'busy' with something. Since I was feeling slightly bored I decided that I might could make cookies ... cute decorated sugar cookies.


I found this blog: for a lady who calls herself the Cookie Mama. She's really good and you should totally check her out! After looking at endless amounts of cookies I decided that I'd try. So, I've spent a couple days looking at recipes, researching icing, and spending a little dough (har, har) on supplies. 


Here's what I've learned/accomplished ...
1. I found a GREAT sugar cookie recipe that doesn't change shape very much when it gets baked.
2. I've got a good handle on "flooding." That's the way you ice the cookie to look perfectly smooth.
3. I've started figuring out royal icing ... it's kind of a royal pain in the butt ... but I think with practice I'll get the hang of it. (Good thing powdered sugar is cheap!)
4. David needs to be the photographer because these pictures are a little dark.


Here you go:






Those are the monograms of some awesome chicks ... my mom, Courtney, Caroline (sisters), and Beth (momma's bff).






Daddy's initials.






COMbat softball stuff for David ... my child husband.






Some fun random stuff ... hearts, a turtle, polka dots.


So as you can see, I'm a NOVICE! Icing will take practice. I didn't want to try really cool designs until I got the hang of it ... which I really don't fully have yet. I did however mix three of my favorite colors to try out first. The cookies, by the way, are delish if I do say so myself!  So be on the lookout for holidays and fun stuff ... I might just come with a basket full of cookies!

1 comment: